Last week was a big week for the Wiley renovation project! As promised, you will find the latest information regarding our upcoming renovation project below.
- Approval of Design Narrative - Last week, I attended the WCPSS Board of Education’s Facilities Committee work session where the design narrative for Wiley’s renovation was presented by the WCPSS design team. The committee heard preliminary plans for new construction (that will replace the current cafeteria building) and necessary upgrades for the 1923 building. The design narrative addresses several challenges presented by the location of the entrance/exit of the parking lot (with respect to carpool stacking), limited parking spaces, desire to preserve historical elements of the 1923 building, limited classroom space, need for updated media center, and physical location of administrative offices (closer to main entry access point). The board committee received the plans favorably, and the design team was given permission to move forward with the next stages of design. Hooray!!!
- Transportation - I continue to receive inquiries about the district’s plans regarding bus transportation during the construction project as we relocate to our appointed swing space location in Garner. The design team and I are working to set up a meeting with the transportation department to discuss these logistics, and I will pass along the information that we receive.
- Wiley Commitment – Just before Spring Break, the PTA hosted a general meeting where comments were shared about the desire to maintain family commitment to Wiley during the construction phase. Overall, the group in attendance was enthusiastic about sharing ideas and “themes” that will continue to rally the Wiley community’s support of this exciting project, and likewise, ideas that will maintain the commitment and vitality of current Wiley families.
- Wiley Commitment - New Families - On a related note, when considering the “health” of Wiley, our magnet application numbers from the recent magnet application period remain strong, and discussion of the renovation project at our recent ‘welcome event’ for new magnet families was well-received.
Keep your questions and insight coming – we’re in this together! I look forward to the day that we ‘cut the ribbon’ that will welcome the Wiley family back to our newly (awesome!) renovated Wiley School!
- Next week, I have the distinct privilege of representing Wiley as we officially receive our 'School of Excellence' designation at the National Magnet Schools of America Conference! I am thrilled to accept this honor on behalf of our amazing school community! Congratulations Wiley family!
Enjoy your week!
Leslie Taylor, Principal